Snow, dolphins and magical creatures

Unexpected snow that brings the country to a halt. Went out with some student friends for a snowball fight at 11pm. Groups charging each other and shouting, played on skateboard ramps and a children’s playground. Brings out the kid in me. I was stranded across town – no vehicles running. Walked 3 miles home with no complaint.

On my tweet I sent out a petition form to protect the dolphins slaughter linked to the documentary “The Cove” about the yearly Japanese slaughter of them.  I couldn’t watch the movie, it’s a slasher film. I’ve been swimming with Dolphins in the wild many times. I will eat most things. It’s the paradox of life – we kill to live. But there are some creatures off the menu.

Recently watched Beluga whales for hours – in a flippin’ zoo – with my kid. Now they clearly come from some magical realm that no longer exists, the realm that unicorns come from. I believe they are under threat and I’m amazed they still stick around.

In the name of Corpocracy we are destroying the creatures that make this planet an amazing home.

17 Comments to Snow, dolphins and magical creatures

1. Andy's Gravatar Andy
    Dec 7, 2010 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Killing to live isn’t essential Tim. And the hypocrisy of “I eat most things…….but some creatures are off the menu” is a little outrageous no? I love dolphins too and I’m NOT trying to put down your hard work with the petition and everything but if you et the flesh of one animal what right have you to request of others that they desist eating animals that you think deserve special treatment?

• Dec 8, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Thing is, Andy, these dolphins that they slaughter annually are barely even fit to eat – it’d be much more beneficial to eat fish or pork or what have you. The primary purpose for killing them is more for ‘pest control’ than for their meat, anyway, and I don’t think that’s justifiable by anyone. Read this: http://www.savejapandolphins.org/educate.php

• Jackie's Gravatar Jackie
      Dec 9, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

I agree with Tim, yes I eat some meats but there are some things that are just wrong. Is it not the way in which these animals are brutally murdered that is more the issue here!

2. Matt's Gravatar Matt
    Dec 8, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Agree about the whales. Why does man seek to kill such intelligence and beauty? How can it be?

Have you seen the film of the Pilot Whales and Dolphins blowing bubble rings and then interacting with them as they swirl through the water? Beautiful.

Matt.

3. Emily's Gravatar Emily
    Dec 8, 2010 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

A blog!! Delightful – we’ll get more thatn 140 characters at a time! Can’t wait to hear the new album.

4. Meg's Gravatar Meg
    Dec 8, 2010 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

I totally agree. Every culture has their food animals and their pet animals, but I really hate that some animals are looked at a ‘delicacies’ and not as an actual needed food source.
    Keep up the good work and Happy Holidays!

5. Dec 8, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

I signed the dolphin petition when you posted it.

By the way, what’s to say that this ‘magical realm’ no longer exists?

6. Joseph's Gravatar Joseph
    Dec 8, 2010 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

That’s the main reason I’m a proud vegetarian.. it’s not even a long ago when I was still thinking that it’s impossible to live without meat… well, some of us who can afford it don’t need meat to survive anymore, it’s a wonder how much knowledge can change your life and feel great about yourself.

7. Stu's Gravatar Stu
    Dec 9, 2010 at 2:49 pm | Permalink

Another proud veggie here (vegan actually!).

Meg, which animals are “a needed food source”? I don’t eat any animals and I’m the heathiest person I know – I run marathons in fast times, cycle huge distances, and I feel amazing!

I can’t see the logic in “killing to live.” I don’t kill, but I live perfectly well.

Anyway, I will indeed sign the petition. I think it’s the very least we could do, to make a difference.

PS: Super new web site!

• Meg's Gravatar Meg
      Dec 12, 2010 at 10:14 pm | Permalink

I grew up in Alaska and the native Alaskans often use whales/seals/walruses in their culture – as a food source. They use every part of the animals… it’s not just used as a trophy or for skin/fur.

8. John's Gravatar John
    Dec 9, 2010 at 9:44 pm | Permalink

I completely understand what you’re saying, Tim. I went kayaking with belugas this past summer in Churchill, Canada. It was amazing to have so much interaction with wild animals — they were actually playing some form of tag with me. They’d bump my boat, then head out, I’d chase them, then turn and veer off, and they’d chase me. This lasted about an hour and a half or so, and they followed me into shore. My wife was in a kayak several hundred yards away and she said she could hear me laughing and giggling like a child the entire time. It was truly magical…

Saw James in Boston and loved the show – looking forward to the new solo album…

Cheers,
    jvb

9. Gusta's Gravatar Gusta
    Dec 11, 2010 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Some interesting view points on this but I’m with you…Andy, Stu, Joseph & Matt. Dolphins….I thought Greenpeace had this kind of nasty covered…..Belugas……the magical realm they are from is planet earth……….but admittedly very hard to realize…..Ive only had a few blinks of the incredible beauty & terrible cruelty that is life on earth but its there all the time. Veggies…….the image is still not good. I mentioned to a fellow sporty guy the other day that I was veggie………”you look to good to be a veggie” was the reply….need I say more! Its not always the case but becoming veggie is for me the ABC stage of becoming more aware of the whole charade. In very simple terms the best argument for a veggie or vegan diet is the fact that most farm animals are around 10% efficient…..you put in 10 unit of veg protein at one end….you get 1 unit of pig protein produced the rest goes on whatever piggies do…..not much these days. Not all of that body tissue is edible so in reality you get less than that as edible meat………Since the 1960’s the human population has almost doubled. Still increasing today and with the earths capacity to produce vegetation decreasing every day due to multiple factors you can see where we are headed……….On the way there all those cute, intelligent wonderful creatures that are exempt from the menu at the mo will probably chomped into extinction by the sausage eaters. With obese humans looking like piggies on steroids waddling around on one side of the world kids are fighting malnutrition on the other. We need a super human to save us……..could that be Tim Booth.

10. Susana's Gravatar Susana
    Dec 13, 2010 at 1:55 am | Permalink

I love Snow and magical creatures.
    This blog was a great idea.

11. Dec 21, 2010 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

12. Dec 29, 2010 at 10:11 am | Permalink

13. Angela's Gravatar Angela
    Jan 28, 2011 at 2:02 pm | Permalink

Signed and re-posted on my I-accounts. I agree we should not kill any animals. I use to be a Veggie, till i got ill, turns out i have a liver disfunction, my liver doesn’t make enough (L)- Carnetine, wich we do need to live. So i need to eat meat in order to stay healthy *CRY*. But i do not eat baby-meats and i still eat Veggie at least 2x a week.

Someone who can kill a dolphine or a whale has never had one of these beauties look them straight in the eye while the “read” your soul.

As to say that this ‘magical realm’ no longer exists —>> ?? I believe it does! Then again I also believe in Gnomes, Elves, Faeries, Pixies, Dragons, Yeti-Bigfoot and Yes Unicorns!! ;P

XAngelaX

14. lou purplefairy's Gravatar lou purplefairy
    May 7, 2011 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

I don’t eat dolphins, mermaids, beluga whales, dragons, unicorns or any mythical creatures. I come from that same magical place. It does still exist. If it didn’t, I’d be just a figment of everyone’s imagination, and I know I am real. i saw myself in the mirror. I hope I am not on the menu one day. I can tell you that Fairies do not taste that nice no matter how much ketchup you slather on them. We taste like soap :)