Captain’s Blog – Hospitals & Hammersmith

Well it wouldn’t feel right without last minute dramas.

Little goes smoothly in our world; hence “getting away with it all messed up”. After the marathon bus tour of the USA a 7 date UK tour looked like a spa. Then Larry’s rushed to hospital. His bad back of Porto becomes the prolapsed disc of Hammersmith. In rehearsal the day before, our focus is on what kind of set we can do without him; how desperate we became was reflected in me playing “Lookaway” on acoustic guitar.

As the night continues his prognosis and gung-ho hi-tech treatments become worse – an epidural, then an epidural with a general anaesthetic. He’s in agony unless prone. I ring the tour manager, the long suffering Thomas, to research getting a tip up bed we can put him in onstage. Larry’s pride won’t have so it’s suggested we all have our own beds; Solidarity, a highly original theme probably never realized before, for good reason. In the event a toxic overload of painkillers, alcohol and adrenalin – traditional rock and roll medicine get him through. I have never seen a dressing room clear so fast on the administration of a pain killing suppository. We have to stop him moving too much on stage in the next gigs. A chant of “Larry no, no, no, no, no Larry. No, no, no, no, no Larry” (to Johnny B Goode) is requested if he so much as puffs his chest into the pose of an axe hero.

Bring on Brixton.

8 Comments to Captain’s Blog – Hospitals & Hammersmith

1. TamborineDance's Gravatar TamborineDance
    Dec 10, 2010 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

Always been at the front at any James gig attended, the last couple of years i`ve been accompanied by my Tambourine but this is sadly likely to be my last time. (from the age of 11, now 33)
    If Larry has trouble I`ll fill in!!!

2. Emily's Gravatar Emily
    Dec 11, 2010 at 1:43 am | Permalink

Sending healing thought to Larry from the US!!

3. Dec 11, 2010 at 2:10 am | Permalink

Oh no! If I could, I’d send Larry some more of the brownies we gave him in Seattle. I hope he takes care of himself and finds a way to heal and beat the pain. You’re all pretty amazing to offer a hospital bed show in solidarity. I’d pay double to see that!

4. Dec 11, 2010 at 4:51 am | Permalink

Hi Tim: What Larry may need is some good old fashion Acupunture, Tui Na Massage, and maybe some Oxygen while he quites smoking. His Kidney Qi Vitality may not be in the high quantum state that he may think, Ha Ha! Just kidding around,kind of.( I could tell you a funny story here) But, I do send my best wishes as well as some positive healing his way. By the way Thanks for the mind blowing Dance on stage in Toronto and the brilliant chat afterwards. I hope you like the Quartz Bracelet! After our “eye locking transmition” I was out of words and needed to process but I would love to still connect with you about 5 Rhythms Dance and Qi Kung Healing, as we had chatted about. I am working on a blend of the two and would love to connect. I would like to send you some clips of my workshops that I am sure you will resonate with. I would love to learn more from you, Tim and I have lots to offer in return. Hope you still have my card. Have Fun in Brixton no matter what!
    Peace and Blessings
    David Donnelly
    Qicology

5. Dec 11, 2010 at 5:25 am | Permalink

P.S. Where would one apply for the position to be your Qi Kung Physician on Tour. I would assist you in preventing any kind of situation like this happening to you. The way you Dance is amazing yet leads to injuries at times. I have many warm up techniques as well as healing techniques that I learned in China that would help keep you Vital. I do have a very high success rate and as you know I dance similarily ecstatic so I have a deep understanding of how to heal it. I healed through Dance no doubt but the Yoga and Qi Kung and TCM allows me to maintain that health as well as optimize it.

6. lee holman's Gravatar lee holman
    Dec 11, 2010 at 6:35 am | Permalink

HAMMERSMITH 2010 PURE CLASS TIM & THE BAND, LOVE THE MUSIC MORE AND MORE AND MORE!!!!!
    STUTTER PLAYING ON THE WAY INTO WORK.
    SEE YOU IN THE SPRING

LEE – the devon lad

7. Gusta's Gravatar Gusta
    Dec 12, 2010 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Tim….give my regards to Larry….a guitarist with guts no less. Well beyond the call of duty. Hats off to Larry…….isn’t that a lyric from somewhere…..? Maybe you should try one of those suppositories on Jim…it may enable him to discover the nirvana of all cool bass players…….syncopation. Along with David I can offer my services as a massage therapist…….it’s true I am newly qualified and I did break one guys neck on the course but that was just a slip. He was after a new pair of wheels at the time…………

8. Martin's Gravatar Martin
    Dec 14, 2010 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Great night again. Thanks for so many of them over 20 years!
    Saw you first on the Goldmother tour in Newcastle 1990 (and met my wife to be that night!). Since then we’ve seen you many times, then the ‘final’ show at wembley, brixton last year and this year’s intimate show at hammersmith. All superb. Great to hear the early stuff again as well as new material. Hope Larry is on the mend!